Wednesday, August 13, 2008

In a mood

This is the time of year when everyone in my house gets in A Mood.

I think it's partly because the novelty of the summer has worn off, and partly because the organized activities are coming to a close. But there's also something about this time of the summer. The summer feels used up. The flowers in the windowboxes are straggly and leggy. The grass isn't growing as fast. You can just start to see how the days are getting shorter. There isn't as much traffic -- lots of people are away -- and usual routines are put on hold (i.e., no piano lessons 'til September). It's a waiting game. We know the summer's rapidly drawing to a close and in a way, we're ready for it to end.

I'm sure my personal mood has also been affected by the family stressors I wrote about last month. I've definitely sensed a drawing inward in myself, a desire to be alone (hah! at a time when the kids are around more than ever!), and a desire to lose myself in reading and knitting. I've got emails to answer (so many), calls to return, projects to finish. One of the cruel ironies of the design world is that the big push for finishing spring projects happens at the time of year when the kids are lounging around the house, sick of their usual activities but not yet in school.

So this week I'll try to muster up some initiative to finish this:


A baby sweater for a shower I didn't get to (it's actually a very pretty shade of blue, but you can't tell because I took the photo in less than stellar lighting).

And I will show Charcoal his new bowl, which was on the clearance rack at Target:


Doesn't every bunny need a bowl with carrots around the outside? I may just fill it up with Ben & Jerry's Brownie Batter and try it out before I give it to him, though. You know, just to make sure the bowl works properly . . .

10 comments:

Elizabeth D said...

Carol, if you can find it, get yourself some Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Therapy. You'll never look back.

--Elizabeth D

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, Chocolate Therapy- that sounds good. My favorite "drown your sorrows" ice cream got discontinued a few years back- Chocolate Bunny Tracks by Blue Bunny. Regular Bunny Tracks is ok, but...

It's going on here, too. Vacation was last week, school starts next week, the grass is crispy even though it rained, the greens aren't vivid anymore- you're right- it feels used up.

Puff says thats a very nice bowl you got for Charcoal. Now he's giving me the look that says "get yourself to Target and get me one- before you even think about shearing me again." Bossy bun.

Anonymous said...

You have captured the essence of late summer. Perhaps it is part of our biological drive to prepare us for fall?

Ben and Jerry Therapy sounds wise. Go for it!

anxiousknitter said...

Jes' passin' through...I know what you mean about "A Mood." My son and I are feeling it...he's just wandering around the house today and it's the first nice day we've had in ages!

I'd go for B & J's Phish food myself, nothing like chocolate, marshmellow & caramel to make a body feel good!

anxiousknitter on Ravelry

Bridget said...

Love the bowl! I'm hoping that Charcoal will get some treats that are the bunny equivalent to Ben and Jerry's ice cream in it ... if he ever does actually get to use it ... :-)

Anmiryam said...

We just had a discussion this afternoon about this very issue. Our kids are moping around, sleeping late (they're teens), and have very little energy. Add to that a death of a parent (FIL) and we're definitely in the doldrums.

Good luck on the deadline knitting and it's really only about three weeks until school starts.

PICAdrienne said...

I think the only reason my kids are getting out of bed before the crack of noon is because the neighbor boy has his music cranked so loud in his car, when he goes to work, he wakes mine up. My kids are a bit older, and all have different types of practice in the afternoon. The good thing about that is they are seeing some friends they had not seen in awhile. Next week is school orientation (read that, Mom, open your wallet) so they know the end of summer is drawing near.

carolr said...

Uh, yes, the end of summer...boo-hoo, but I do love the fall. I meam the real fall-crispy. Meanwhile, we in southeastern PA, must endure probably another month more of summer-like weather.
Love your blog!

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

Yes, very important to pre-test the bunny bowl. And ice cream is the best material with which to season it...

Anonymous said...

B&J chunky monkey for me please!

cute bowl for charcoal; but I second bridget's last phrase... :D