Monday, January 21, 2008

Earnest alert

"I refuse to accept despair as the final response to the ambiguities of history.

I refuse to accept the idea that the "isness" of man's present nature makes him morally incapable of reaching up for the eternal "oughtness" that forever confronts him.

I refuse to accept the idea that man is mere flotsam and jetsom in the river of life unable to influence the unfolding events which surround him.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality.

I refuse to accept the cynical notion that nation after nation must spiral down a militaristic stairway into the hell of thermonuclear destruction. I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant.

I believe that even amid today's motor bursts and whining bullets, there is still hope for a brighter tomorrow. I believe that wounded justice, lying prostrate on the blood-flowing streets of our nations, can be lifted from this dust of shame to reign supreme among the children of men.

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.

I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, men other-centered can build up. . . .

I still believe that we shall overcome."

-- MLK Jr. (1964)

6 comments:

mindy said...

Thank you.

Birdwell said...

Me too, a heart felt Thank You.

Can I add another quote from an anti fascist speech from the mid-90s: "We have fallen asleep in the comfort of our freedom"

Mary Lou said...

Amen sister

Anonymous said...

Thanks ... and speaking of overcoming, I note your clock at the bottom of the blog shows less than one year. Huzzah.

Anonymous said...

MLK is probably spinning in his grave right now. it seems we have not overcome anything at all in the past 44 years, IMO.

racism is blatant, schools are separate and unequal, food/clothing/shelter does not exist for some, the american dream is out of reach for many.

and yet we are "supposed" to be the best nation on earth.

as marvin gaye sang: "makes me wanna holla!"

hokieknitter said...

I can remember the possibilites and hope I used to feel but now all seems hopeless and even the notion one person can make a difference is threatening to go away. The general apathy is threatening to silence those of us who did have a dream, too. Where are the MLK's of today? Why have we not had those unique voices that reached out and grabbed hearts and minds in so many years? Rest in peace and let us hope you'll not be forgotten.