Today I read something so offensive, so repulsive that I cannot stop myself from posting about it. George W. Bush said in an interview this week that in honor of the over 4,000 American soldiers who have died in Iraq, he has given up golf. Sez Dubya: "I feel I owe it to the families to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal."
Here are some other things Bush could have done to honor the troops who have died in Iraq:
- Made a large donation to the USO or another charity that directly benefits veterans;
- Admitted that it was a mistake to go into Iraq;
- Stopped lying about current conditions in Iraq and how well we are supposedly doing;
- Appointed an independent counsel to probe the conduct of military contractors making lots of money off the Iraq war while soldiers went without body armor, armored vehicles and such;
- Implemented a new policy of providing prompt and truthful data to families of solders who have died in Iraq, rather than lying about how they died if it's deemed "embarrassing" to the Bush administration (see, e.g., Pat Tillman);
- Gone to every funeral of every soldier who died in Iraq. Too time-consuming? Okay, how about going to every other one? Every one in ten? More than one or two?
- Met with every family of every soldier who died in Iraq, looked them in the eye and explained exactly why he sent their loved one to die;
- Stopped censoring the flow of information, such as photographs of the coffins of Iraq war casualties as they arrive back in the United States;
- Fixed whatever the hell is wrong with the Veteran's Administration, Walter Reed and so on, thus ensuring that our soldiers get the compassion and care they deserve after putting their lives on the line for us. This includes discontinuing the shady practice of dismissing Iraq vets based on "personality disorder discharges," which result in the vets losing benefits.
- Done his best to ensure passage of the new GI Bill.
- Ended this misbegotten war, ensuring that no more soldiers die or are injured in vain.
Me, I wish Dubya would go back to playing golf. It'd keep him out of the Oval Office and too busy to continue his wholesale destruction of the country and constitution that I love.