Sunday, April 26, 2009

Carpal winding syndrome?

I just finished reskeining the last of 219 skeins of blue-faced leicester superwash sock yarn for The Loopy Ewe. That's the biggest order I've done so far, and I have some kind of repetitive stress injury to my neck/shoulder -- from operating the skeinwinder -- to prove it. I conveniently had a conversation with Needlegrrl a few weeks ago about the need to put ice (not heat) on inflamed muscles and I have to say, Needlegrrl was completely right. Icing it and taking Advil (thanks to Mindy, who reminded me of its anti-inflammatory properties) have been helping, but I'm glad this order is done so it'll have time to rest. I usually don't work on such a large scale, so it's never been a problem before.

Here are some of the skeins I'll be shipping off:



The top one is Sweetheart Roses (I think it's a bit pinker in real life) and the bottom is Camouflage. There are 15 colorways in all.

In the meantime, I had the pleasure of taking a class with Stefanie Japel, delightful author of Glam Knits: 25 Designs For Luxe Yarns and Fitted Knits: 25 Projects for the Fashionable Knitter (both of which are great books, by the way). Stefanie was friendly, very knowledgeable and super-fun to take a class with, so if you get a chance, I'd recommend her workshops. Plus, look how adorable she is:


That's about all for now, although I've got some exciting news about a pal of mine in the knitting world, so look here for a scoop in coming days. . .

7 comments:

subliminalrabbit said...

ugh, maybe treat yourself to an (expert) massage too? i used to go to physical therapy for my neck/shoulder, and the first thing they'd do is give me the most amazing massage.

gorgeous yarns, as always!

Ted said...

I agree with the rabbit.

It's exactly what you need for that kind of repetitive use activity.

And, as I was a licensed massage therapist for 14 years, I would know, right?

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, I love both of those yarns. And am having major knitting class envy.

Can't wait til your yarn gets onto Loopy Ewe's website. Now, just how long is it til MD?

Anonymous said...

that many skeins to wind and you don't have an electric skeinwinder? I had fewer than that and my husband made one for me ... and then upgraded it, and started sellin' them, too. When I'm skeining (from a cone) yarn to dye or reskeining to sell, I love the swiftness of the electric winder. Before he built his gadget, I had an ashford kiwi winder, and benny had to adjust it to make it so that I wasn't knocking into the upright every couple of times around.

Carol said...

Is it ice for the first 24 hrs and then heat the next? That's what I've always done. Glad you are feeling better. Any more about the class with Stephanie? Any more photos of that quilt behind her?!?

turtlegirl76 said...

And here I was hoping you were going to be bringing that to MDSW. Alas and alack.

Lynn said...

I didn't read through the whole thread, but I wonder if anyone is going to use their precious WM for this purpose.