Friday, August 25, 2006

Join the Hop-along!

Big news: Rosie's customers and all-around Renaissance ladies Christina (a.k.a. "Knitty D") and Wendy (they knit, they blog, they podcast) have done me the great honor of beginning a Black Bunny Hop-along. Kind of like a Knit-along, only instead of everyone knitting the same thing, you can knit whatever you want -- in Black Bunny yarn. Isn't that hilarious? I'm still figuring out what I'm going to knit. I'm offering a free ladies' T-shirt and tote bag, both with the Black Bunny logo, as prizes (and some yarn will find its way into the prizes, too). More details will be forthcoming, as Wendy and Christina finalize the details and set up a blog. I'll keep you updated.

In the meantime, I've been ogling the mittens on display as part of the Bitchin' Mittens event. Holy crap! What a wide variety of stuff, and the level of creativity is amazing. Don't stop scrolling 'til you hit the Dorothy Parker mittens. (Now I'm mulling a knitted throw pillow that says "What fresh hell is this?" for my living room.) Set up by Dave D. of Cabin Cove, dyer and blogger and knitter -- and knitalong organizer -- extraordinaire.

Finished...

While on vacation, I knit the lion's share of a quickie sleeveless sweater for Grace in undyed cotton. (Of course when I tried it on her, we had some head fitting through the hole logistical issues....but we're working on that.) Next step is to -- brace yourself -- tie dye it. Photos when it's done.

Started...

Oh, yeah, I need a new project like I need a hole in the head. But I decided that I am going to knit some sweaters for myself this year. Starting very humbly, with some Rowan Soft Tweed, a.k.a. the dryer lint yarn, from Rosie's. I've got a Knitting Pure and Simple pattern that I may try. This ought to be one of those mindless, ongoing projects to pull out when I'm too tired for complex things. (In other words, most days.)

So in case you're counting, ongoing projects include 6-ply socks I started on vacation, other bootie and baby cap for Tom's coworker's baby, Hopalong project, numerous swatches for possible designs in various states of unfinishedness, and, um, well, I'll just stop there.

And while I'm being ridiculous, I am about to do some reorganizing of the old stash. Mostly to consolidate and weed out some stuff I don't think I'll ever use (my problem is optimism: I truly believe that some day I'll get to using it all...). The husband, usually delightfully mellow about knitting-related things, has been -- sharp intake of breath -- nagging me about making more closet space. (Doesn't he have his priorities straight?) So while I do this, I've decided to make a list of the quantities and gauges of what I have, to make it easier for me to match up a pattern with yarn. I'll let you know how it goes, once I start, and if I find it helpful or not.

Coming soon: another No-Bull Book ReviewTM, and more Hopalong details...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Bunny-Along sounds like fun. I don't know if I want to spare my skein, though. Then it would be gone...and that would make me sad. (It's in my Private Reserve.) But...there IS a tote and tee prize...hmmm...

Liz K. said...

I want to reassure you that the yarn-release is a wonderfully freeing feeling. I spent the summer carefully editing my stash, releasing the losers and the taunting UFOs to other knitters, to preschoolers, and repurposing those garments. My stash is now packed with potential, 0% guilt.

Just in time to buy some Black Bunny!

Anonymous said...

Count me in. Question for when the rules are made up: Can it be something I already have going or (hurt me) will I need to start something new?
Lots of pix of the tie-dye process, please. What a great idea. Trouble is- I. don't. need. any. more...

turtlegirl76 said...

Yay! I'm in! I'm thinkingof what pattern to do with my Citrus sockyarn. Yay! Time to finally wind it up!

Unknown said...

That is a great freakin' idea. I'll have to look at what you've got available, or maybe look at the stuff I've already bought.

Do you have any more stuff about to be added to BB?

Carol said...

Oh, my love, I always have stuff to be added to BBF. I'm about to add 4 more skeins of wool/nylon sock yarn. I'm dyeing some fingering weight Kona superwash today, laceweight this weekend, and I've got some raw yarn here, so P.M. me if you've got something specific (either color, yarn or yardage) in mind...

Mindy, I think we're going to keep the fun to a maximum and the rules to a minimum. With all you've got going on, I think finishing a started BBF project will be swell. ;)

Anonymous said...

You need to make that pillow. One for me, too, while you're at it!
My box of "pretties" came today- thanks. I'm happy, happy, happy- they are all more gorgeous than the pictures. They're trying to convince me to forget everything that is currently on needles or on the wheel and use only them...

Shannan said...

The hop-along sounds like fun. I have some yummy Black Bunny Pink Lemonade in my stash. Sounds like the perfect time to use it.

Unknown said...

How about a BB Spin-along? I'd go for that. Homey don't do Knitalongs.

Anonymous said...

I'd go in on a Spin-along.