Tuesday, November 08, 2011

My sixth blog-iversary

Once again, the anniversary of my very first blog post slipped by me (it was November 6th, for those of you who like exact dates). It is absolutely shocking that I have been blogging about knitting, and various other topics that pique my interest. for six whole years. It still amazes me that there are loyal readers out there who've stuck with me all that time. I love getting comments from readers, and it still cracks me up that I occasionally get hate mail (including hate mail about people other than me -- what's with that?) and that every once in a great while, someone flounces from reading my blog -- but not without sending an email just. to. let. me. know.

It's been a very busy fall for me and I have been struggling, at times, to keep posting, even on a semi-regular basis. Although time constraints have definitely been part of it, I've noticed I also have become more reluctant to blog about my personal life. It's very easy for me to sit down and post about something concrete -- a new design, a fiber show I've attended, a book review -- but I've found it harder and harder to post about me.

My kids are getting older, so to some extent, I am trying to preserve their privacy a little more. I'd also be lying if I didn't admit that the slightly higher profile I've achieved through my writing and designing has something to do with it. There's more scrutiny placed on my blog and I'm painfully aware of how easy it is to offend someone, even unintentionally, through a casual joke or badly-phrased comment. I also have found that more people in my non-knitting life read the blog -- family members, neighbors, and others whose feelings are important to me. I hope there is still enough of value to keep people coming back, even if my snarky edge has softened somewhat over the years, and even if my daughter no longer pees on the bathroom floor out of spite.

Thanks to all of you out there for reading. That you are willing to regularly spend a few minutes of your day reading what I have to say is appreciated more than you can know. And that so many of you have become friends, whether virtual or in real life, is the icing on the cake.

19 comments:

deidre said...

Happy Blogiversary!Sorry about the trolls.

sandi said...

Congratulations on your blogiversary, Carol! And, please, feel free to set whatever boundaries make your comfortable. You have no obligation to inform or entertain the world. It is our privilege to read whatever you choose to share. Those who complain about the content of your blog (or lack thereof) need to get a life of their own. Hugs.

anne marie in philly said...

WHO would leave nasty comments about you? you're the sweetest, kindest person on earth! eff the trolls!

Sharripie said...

Happy Blogiversary! Six years is a long time to keep up with writing. I'm glad I've gotten to know you through the intertoobs. Keep up the good work!

Jenn said...

Happy Blogiversary!

kate-the-enabler said...

Happy Blogiversary! I'm only sorry to be so late in joining the party ;)
(and bless you for being a writer who knows that you PIQUE someone's interest,rather than peaking it....)

WendyKnits said...

Happy blogiversary. I am happy you've stuck with it these 6 years!

Barb B. said...

It doesn't seem like 6 years that I've been reading you! Good Gad, where does the time go??? Snarky edge or no snarky edge, still love reading the blog. As for the trolls.. there is always one. To heck with them

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary! I appreciate all your efforts, always read even if I don't always comment.

Bonnie said...

Happy blogiversary! I understand wanting to be careful what you post. I feel that way, too, even though I don't have a lot of blog readers. I don't ever want to hurt my mom's feelings, you know?

Bridget said...

Happy blogiversary! I know what you mean about feeling that you need to be more careful, but I still enjoy your commentary on people and things, even if you feel it's not as say, biting, as it used to be.

And as for the trolls ... eejits are everywhere, always thinking they know best.

So glad we're friends. Even if my husband hates you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary, and thanks for all of it. Reading you is almost as good as listening to you. I look forward to your monthly (or not so monthly) book report. You’ve given me plenty of good ideas. And while I’m at it, thanks for all the lovely yarns. I hope to get over to Loop this Sat and see you in person and show you what I’ve done with some of your gorgeous yarns. Best, Mary Kay

Anonymous said...

Hi, Carol..... I've been reading and occasionally commenting for several years. I understand the need to keep your kids private lives private, as my Mom was the "Women's Pages" editor of our local paper, and my family was fair game. I still blush remembering how she reported on cheerleading try-outs the year I DIDN'T make the team, and ignored the year I DID! (Now that I'm a grown-up, I'm embarassed, too!) There is a very delicate balance here.

But I enjoy your writing, your yarn reviews and most of all your book reviews. Keep the kids under wraps, but please keep telling us what books to read!

Barbara M.

PS...I'm only anonymous because I'm computer illiterate and have no blog!

Unknown said...

Wow 6 years! Congratulations! Thanks for all the great stories and advice!

Broke Knitter

Marcia said...

Congrats on the anniversary.
I check in at least a couple times a week -- you're always worth a read and I love the pics of your kids (and understand why there aren't more).

I too appreciate the book reviews, knit and/or mystery. I'm always looking for something interesting to read and something beautiful to view.

thanks for your efforts

hunter said...

Oh, what a milestone! I haven't even been knitting that long, much less blogging.

And continued good luck with that public/private balance thing. It's a juggling act, but you seem to be handling it with grace.

Bev said...

Happy blogiversary! I've always greatly appreciated your book reviews, yarn news, and definitely your design adventures.

Gauss said...

Happy blogiversary! I also check in a few times a week and love your book reviews, knitterly posts and whatever else you want to share.

Crytal said...

Congrats on your blogiversary! I know what you mean about posting about your private life. It can be a fine line, especially if that line crosses into your real life. And I love that some people actually bother to write you to say they aren't going to read any more! People are crazy!