Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Update

My tooth is fixed, at least for now. The dentist said he was going to give me a crown, and although it wasn't quite what I had imagined,



it'll do. See?*



In a sweet show of sympathy, Charcoal is going to the vet today to get his back teeth filed down. I am told that bunny teeth continue to grow and if the bun doesn't chew on them enough to file them down, they can get overgrown and cause difficulties. Charcoal is doing fine with the front teeth but there are some spots in the back that he's not gnawing with enough. Here's your piece of bunny trivia for the day: bunnies cannot vomit. So if they have veterinary procedures, you don't need to deprive them of food or water beforehand. Back me up on this one, Dr. Mel. (Clearly this is why rabbits are notorious for having so many babies: unlike me, who vomited for 4 months, they don't get morning sickness.)

On the knitting front, progress has been slow. I am mainly working on book stuff (last night I had a dream that they were doing a photo shoot of the garments in the Bahamas and we got free tickets to come and watch. Hah! That's what I get for reading about Anna Nicole Smith's autopsy before going to bed) which I can't show you. My co-authors and I sent out our first wave of finished garments to our editor over the weekend, and I'm extremely nervous about my contribution. I hope she likes them and doesn't regret giving us a contract.

My back-up knitting project is this sweater




done in Koigu Kersti. I'm using a Cabin Fever pattern for a baby sweater, knit in the round from the top down, raglan-style. I got this Kersti ages ago at Rosie's, and there wasn't enough to do something for me, so I figured this was a good use for it. Alert readers may recall that one of my knitting goals for the year was to knit a sweater for the first grandchild of the judge I clerked for, and this is it. Having learned my lesson from prior projects for babies, I am making a large size: 2-3 years.

I've been doing some more dyeing. I've got some really cool wool/nylon sock yarns like these:



and I'm planning to do an update this Friday, March 30th.

*No, of course that's not REALLY my tooth.
Mine's silver.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

And it's so attractive too! You are hilarious! I wish I could see the shop update--I have to be out of town this weekend. Sigh.

mindy said...

While I'm not a vet (though I often play one at home) I do know that you're right- rabbits do not vomit- that's why hay is so important- keeps things moving so hairballs don't build up. Poor Charcoal- Puff sends "feel better soon" wishes.
I don't even want to know where you found that tooth picture...
Update- I'm there.

Bridget said...

I think silver will go better with your eyes anyway.

Diane said...

OMG that's hysterical! I just got back from the dentist myself. They printed out a billing of all last year's charges and it ran 2 pages. I noticed there was a notation that I was a preferred patient. When I asked about it the office manager said, "Diane, I think you are here more than our part time hygenists."

pigbook1 said...

An invitation because I love your blog and I would love to learn more about you:

Write yourself a manifesto. Make it specific (knitting or parenting or music) or general (like mine) So that I can read it.

Rabbitch said...

I think you likely have less 5-o'clock shadow than that, too.

If I'm wrong, please let me know and I'll come over and wax your face for you.

Carol said...

Rabbitch, my face is fine, but I could use a Brazilian wax. Your offer still stand?

Unknown said...

Did the tooth come from the Sundance catalog? That's where I buy all my silver accoutrements.

Just so you know: Daughter Jenn's boyfriend Norm is an expert on rabbits. He's raised and bred them, knows a ton. However, I don't think Norm has e-mail. He's a woodsy kinda guy. But he loves to talk rabbits.

Sherry W said...

Charcoal needs a gold crown, too.

I love the green/blue yarn...I really loved the 'Puddle grays' I missed on your last update. *sigh*

Mel said...

True, bun-buns cannot puke. Long cut grass hay is best for their digestive function, but may not do much about the teeth if they have a bit of a malocclusion, which is usually why the teeth don't wear properly.

froggiemeanie said...

The Kersti looks divine.

Back when I was a grad student, a colleague of mine did research on cancer treatment drugs. She had to work with shrews because they could vomit (rats, the perpetual lab animal, can't). They were so vicious that anyone who handled them had to wear thick leather gloves all the time.

So there's your shrew trivia for the day ;)

Larjmarj said...

A BunBun with a gold tooth? Awesome!

Carrie said...

Ahh Haa Haa! I was drinking coffee when I read your bunny comment! =) *giggle* I love the baby sweater. Totally beautiful. The sock yarn is really pretty. We get paid on Friday, so that's a GREAT day to update!

Rabbitch said...

If you're brave enough to let me near you with a pot of hot wax, dear heart, I'm brave enough to do a Brazilian.

Say Saturday afternoon-ish? I'll bring wine.

JJ said...

It is true that rabbits can't vomit. Also true that rabbits don't necessarily have to have occlusal adjustments unless they have enough of a malocclusion. They are like mini-horses - who also can't vomit and require occlusal adjustments (the correct term for "dentals").

Can't wait for the book to come out - whenever that will be. I finished knitting the Monkey socks (to continue the animal theme) out of yarn I purchased almost a year ago! They have held up to washing and drying (in the machine!!) beautifully, but are difficult to photograph because I'm constantly wearing them. Even in 70-80 degree weather. I hope to get them on the Hopalong soon.

JJ - resident in veterinary dentistry.

Anonymous said...

You guys are crazy w/ the waxing and whatnot. Below is a link for tooth jewelry in case you're interested.
http://www.mrbling.com/

Carol said...

Mel and JJ -- are you telling me... Charcoal needs... BRACES?

Sally said...

Your yarn is truly gorgeous. I can see why Liz K loves to knit with it!

The father of a good friend of mine is a criminal defense attorney in Florida. He had teeth like the ones in your post made to fit his mouth, and he actually wears them in court. To be funny. I'm sure his clients love that. :o)

JJ said...

I'm trying to picture a bunny with braces. Would you get the cool colored ones? Is Charcoal vain enough to want the clear ones? How about INVISALIGN?

No, but he may need regular adjustments for life - take him in for regular exams and follow your vet's advice. We had a rabbit in last week with horrible abscesses because his owner decided to come back 5 months later instead of the recommended 3 weeks. The excuse - too busy getting ready for a new baby.

Some people should have to pass a test before being allowed pets or children. If she can't remember to bring her bunny in, what about her kids?

Getting off my soapbox now.

Carol said...

JJ, your soapbox is my soapbox. The thing I hate more than anything is when people have a baby and "get rid of" the cat or dog. Like their brains (or hearts) are so small they can't have both.

Anastasia Silver said...

I would love to see more of that sweater. I googled circle sweater knit and yours came up. Will you show it to me? The colour you chose is absolutely beautiful.

Stacy Silver Clow