Monday, February 11, 2008

On the horizon

One of the on-going things I've been playing with is switching Black Bunny Fibers to its own domain. After looking at a lot of options, I found a very user-friendly e-commerce interface and I was able to build my own website in an unbelievably short time. This week I'm "beta-testing" it but I think I'll be ready to switch over from Etsy to my own domain later this month. Etsy is a wonderful website, but at this point, my volume of sales justifies the switch, since those Etsy fees (for listing and a percentage of sale) add up. And saving money on fees means cheaper yarn for my customers. I"ll let you know when the Grand Opening is, along with the URL.

January Books

Here's what I read in January:

1. Mississippi Mud: Southern Justice and the Dixie Mafia by Edward Humes. Story of a Mississippi judge and his wife, and their unsolved murder; their daughter began investigating when the local police didn't get the job done. Interesting background on the "Dixie Mafia," which I had never heard of before.

2. Tom Cruise: An Unauthorized Biography by Andrew Morton. Yeah, and I read People Magazine at the hairdresser's, too. Your point? Cruise is a fascinating figure with power, celebrity and influence in Hollywood. Morton seems to have done a lot of research, including numerous interviews with people who knew Cruise, and he also extensively quotes Cruise's own words in interviews over the years. Unlike some reviewers, I think Cruise's "religious" beliefs are fair game, since Cruise himself speaks publicly of them in an attempt to influence others' behavior (think Brooke Shields). Morton provides an eye-opening view of Cruise's involvement in that regard.

3. Switching Time: A Doctor's Harrowing Story of Treating a Woman with 17 Personalities. Oy, this was a bizarre tale, written by a psychiatrist who treated a woman for depression, only to realize as treatment progressed that she was one of those extremely rare cases of multiple personality. I would have thought this was fiction were the psychiatrist not clearly identified and if he hadn't included scans of various notes and letters written in the different handwriting of the various personalities.

14 comments:

Bridget said...

The new look is great, congratulations!

I'm glad you were able to find a site that made it relatively easy to create your own domain for BBF. I'll be curious to see it once it's ready for the public.

Unknown said...

I will definitely need to read the Cruise-denied biography. I was deflated when I heard Morton being interviewed he stated pretty unequivocally that Tom isn't gay.

It's not what I've heard...what does Lisa say about this?

Anonymous said...

Nice new look on the blog.

Will have to read the Cruise bio. The other day I heard a rumor that baby Suri is actually Elron Hubbard's child via insemination. Is that covered in the book?

Kathleen

Carol said...

They mention the rumor but don't give it much credence.

Carol said...

Congratulations on virtual brick and mortar! So do you ever sleep?

Carol said...

Oh, I sleep all right.
But I never clean...

Anonymous said...

I also lerve the new look; so springtime fresh!

but I think I will cry - no link to montco sit-n-knit ;-)

stay warm!

Anonymous said...

Coolio on the new look! I will eagerly await the BBF site! Charcoal as webbunster?

xo Allison

Anonymous said...

Delurking to say that I like the new look of your blog!

Hannah said...

Mississippi Mud is on my list, too. Anything on Southern Justice. And Switching Time sounds wild!

Anonymous said...

My DD and I really like your pattern for legwarmers in the new Interweave. Looking forward to your book coming out.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I love the new look of the blog. Could I ask what "very user-friendly e-commerce interface" it is that you have found? I'm looking for one, and would love a recommendation (and I won't be a competitor!)

Thanks,

Ingrid

Anonymous said...

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent... I don't find this look as readable as the previous one, although I have a hard time putting my finger on why. I think the grayish vertical borders make the text seem a bit claustrophobic for me; I've never liked the narrow columns of text so typical of weblogs. But that's just me, I guess.

I'm intrigued by "Switching Time". Multiple personality disorder has fascinated me since learning about how it impacted a web community I was active in (although the incident happened shortly before I arrived). I might try tracking this one down.

P.S. I got my BBF yarn today! Mom and I really like it. I probably won't get to play with it until the weekend, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the lavenders and purples look together.

Anonymous said...

do tell, what was so eye opening about the Cruise biography? Was it how much money he gives them?

charli
charlizeen on yahooooooo