Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Bliss-ful

One of my long-time knitting icons has been Debbie Bliss. The very first knitting book I purchased when I returned to the craft years ago was one of her very first books, New Baby Knits. I remember paging through the book longingly, wondering if I'd ever be good enough to make the garments inside (and wondering if I'd someday have kids to wear them). I was struck by the classic lines and charm of her designs; they weren't the overwrought, excessively twee sweaters I'd had as my stereotype of handknit baby sweaters. As time has gone on, I've remained a Debbie Bliss fan. I love her sensibility, her palette, her clean lines, and, of course, her yarn line. Am I gushing?

Well, if I'm gushing to you guys, imagine how I gushed when I got to meet Debbie Bliss herself. She was unbelievably down-to-earth, charming and warm. I started subtly, by saying "I love you!" to her and she responded immediately by saying "And I know I could grow to love you, too!" Huge points for the quick rejoinder. We had a lovely chat and although I fear I may have kvelled a bit too much, I did remember to get in a plug for schematics and clear photographs of the designs in all future books. (Heh.) Best of all, I left with this:



It says, "Lovely to meet you, Carol. Without you, I am nothing. Best wishes, Debbie Bliss."

It was at that moment that I began to suspect that my plane had gone down and I was in heaven.

Coming soon: Another incident with a top designer (whose initials are V.A.) leaves me certain that I am in paradise; answers to yesterday's readers' challenge...

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Like you, I have always like Debbie's designs, but it always irked me that for the longest time, they refused to let her do anything except baby/kid designs.

It's good to know that she's smart and witty as well.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you. I've got quite a few of her books, too. I'm proud of you- I would've been struck totally speechless.
Any flight tales to tell us?

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! I hope you'll let me touch your hand the next time I see you ... two degrees of Debbie Bliss!

Anonymous said...

I've mett Debbie a few times, and I agree totally with your picture of her.
She's nice and funny and smart and will likely remember you next time she sees you.

I bow to your ability to mention schematics while in the presence of a hero.
I tend to babble like a goof.
The first time I met Kaffe Fassett, I asked him why he hates white...
Eejit.

Lauren said...

I never saw her or V.A. I think one reason Debbie doesn't include schematics may be because her armholes are often wacky figures like 10".

Anonymous said...

I've talked to Laura and Lisa already...now all I need to here is from you about all the people you talked to. And are you speaking of Veronik Avery? I hear she was there...and I'm such a fan of hers. I'll be so jealous if you go to converse with her!

And you met my friend Shannon...she's awesome!

Stacey said...

Wow- I am jealous!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for asking for schematics and better photos. I love DB's books but am always peeved that I can't see the details, like maybe "The front" of a sweater or the cuffs.

Anonymous said...

Car,

Oh, you had your "Emily" moment!!! (sidenote: remember the Indigo Girls stalking story?) I'm SO happy for you! It is heartwarming to get to connect with someone you admire, someone who speaks to you artistically, someone who inspires you....that's AWESOME!

xo
m