Sunday, March 21, 2010

Parental pride

Forgive me for bragging, but for those of you not on Facebook, I have to tell you about what Elvis did this weekend. This weekend he participated in the countywide spelling bee, the competition that feeds directly into the national one in Washington in June. My kid, who is only in sixth grade, went 28 rounds, sticking it out against seventh- and eighth-graders, many of whom had participated in the competition before.



He spelled all sorts of crazy words correctly, including "tithe" (round 2) and "knish" and "cedilla" and "langlauf" (whatever that is) and he made it all the way to the end. He went toe-to-toe with an eighth-grader and ended up in second place.



I am so proud of him. I am so proud of his intelligence, his guts, his poise and how damn cool he is. Well done, Elvis.

19 comments:

JelliDonut said...

That's so cool! Congrats to Elvis. I love spelling bees.

Teresa in Virginia said...

Oh wow! This is so cool! I don't blame you one bit for being proud of your son, if he were my son I would be proud of him, too. Congrats to Elvis

Mel said...

A boy after my own heart. I went to district competition in both 6th & 7th grades & placed second the first year, then within the top 5 the second.

Anonymous said...

Elvis, you are an incredibly awesome young man. (your parents aren't half bad, either)

Mary Ellen said...

That's awesome! Way to go, Elvis!

anne marie in philly said...

YAYZ for elvis! good spelling is an asset now and for the future! give this young man a present!

Carol said...

Had to google langlauf! It's a cross country ski race. Amazing! Congrats to him! Well done (and I bet that bee is all his next year!)

Ann said...

Hurray for Elvis! I'm quite impressed!

Saren Johnson said...

NICE! Very nice.

subliminalrabbit said...

congrats elvis!!!

soknitpicky said...

Congratulations! That is a *huge* accomplishment!

Elizabeth D said...

Way to go, #1 son! I lost on "irreconcilable" the first year, and then the second year had a total freeze at the thought of going to the state finals and refused to go any further. Brave boy!

Laura Sue said...

How can he not be cool with a name like Elvis? Well done, E. and congrats, Mom.

Carol said...

FYI -- "Elvis" is his nom de blog, not his real name...but don't worry, he's still cool...

Donna said...

Congratulations, Elvis! You are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Cool! Way cool Carol! Yeah, those kids really are full of wonderful surprises! Terry

Awall said...

Congratulations to Elvis! Way to go guy! All your Mom's readers are proud of you too!

Nancy Jakbert

Bridget said...

Elvis rocks! Congratulations to him, spelling bees are not just often hard, they are stressful.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Elvis the magnificent. We will see him next year on the televised finals from D.C., I am sure!

--Tim (Bridget's minion)