Thursday, January 04, 2007

All hail!

Nancy Pelosi, first woman Speaker of House. Okay, she's got shellacked hair (which means she will fit in with all the other awkwardly-coiffed members of our esteemed House), but I still consider this a Good Thing.

Black Bunny Etsy note

It has come to my attention that there is some kind of snafu with Etsy such that pasting my shop address in your browser or using links will net you an error message. I expect that this will be fixed fairly quickly but in the meantime, try searching the tags for "blackbunny" or the sellers for "blackbunnyfibers" and see if that helps. I apologize for any inconvenience. Next update will probably be Sunday evening.

Mea Culpa

Okay, I definitely am a few skeins short of a sweater these days. I mangled the name of Jane Sowerby's Victorian Lace Today until an astute commenter pointed it out (along with a Yahoo group and knitalong). There is, in fact, already an errata page here, and if you are interested, Karen K included links to the knitalong and Yahoo group in her comment to my original post. Thanks, Karen K!

Also, Marilyn urged me to consider Aran Sweater Design by Janet Szabo. Sadly, I was confused, and thought that this was the same self-published volume I had purchased a couple of years ago. But Kate set me straight:

Aran Sweater Design is not the same book as Handbook of Aran Sweater Design. ASD is 171 pages, plus Index, vs. 90 pages for HASD. While ASD began as a revision and updating of HASD, it has more patterns and more explanatory text than the original, as well as better production values. I own them both, and will keep both.


So I apologize to Marilyn for being such a know-it-all. (I should know better; Marilyn knows more than nearly anyone I've ever met about knitting.) And thanks to Kate, too.

Book News

For now, I will remain coy and tell you only that I am working on the book with Lisa and Laura, two of my colleagues at Rosie's; it is being published by Interweave Press; and our release date is spring 2008.

Coming soon, by popular demand: A photographic tour (with explanatory notes) of the bomb shelter.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez, I don't know as much as you think I do, believe me. Knitting surprises me all the time. Just when I think I've got it down, I learn something new.

That's why I do it and I love it.

M-H said...

What is it about female politicans and shellacked hair? See http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://fifth.estate.rmit.edu.au/images/articles/27052006175712-5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fifth.estate.rmit.edu.au/helen-coonan-speech.php&h=300&w=200&sz=21&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=xKcqizbC3UAGrM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=77&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522Helen%2BCoonan%2522%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG" for an example of an Aussie member of the species. And she's softened hers recently - before that it was *really* stiff.

Carol said...

A book! Yay! I'll add spring of '08 to my list! At least we'll get to see this bomb shelter of yours. LOL-If we tried to build one here, there would be sharks in it. Tempting choice: Blow up or be lunch.

Anonymous said...

Maybe female politicians learn how to do their hair that way so they can move up ladder. Maybe there is a secret old boys' club of which we know nothing that has varnished hair as one of the requirements of female who is allowed through the glass ceiling....or maybe the hair lets them punch through it.
Barb B.

Anonymous said...

Your comment about Nancy Pelosi's shellaked hair made me laugh because last night when I saw her on the Dutch news, I commented that she looked very 'American' but I coulnt really put a finger on what I meant until hubby mentioned the hair!

I dont think the British or Dutch female politicians have armourplated hair, but I will keep an eye out for it!

Carol said...

Oh Dawn, are you too young to remember Margaret Thatcher? She had major helmet hair.

Anonymous said...

Gop girl--Interweave! That is terrific. I look forward to the book. I just sent you an e-mail, but I think you have another 15 minutes of fame you may not realize: you are in the Spring 2007 KnitScene magazine. I picked it up last night and they have a section called scene on the street which is photos of hand knits on the streets. One of the cities that are covered is Philly and I am 90% sure it is you (with another person both wearing hand knit hats). I only met you once in Baltimore, so that is why I am not 100%. Check it out....

Anonymous said...

I concur about Janet Szabo's Aran book and the KC is too modest about her knitting prowess.
When I was a kid in the early sixties, our neighbors had a bomb shelter built into the hill behind their house. We always wanted to play in it but our friend's father wouldn't let us. "Not a playhouse" was what we were told. At the time we all thought it was too cool for words. Now when I visit my dad I walk past that shelter and wonder whether our friends would have let us in if the bomb had dropped.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,

I do remember M Thatcher, but she was from a completely different era. I was thinking about the current lot. Mind you, since I don't live in the UK at the moment, I couldn't swear that none of them have shellaked hair (just love that word).