Saturday, August 28, 2010

Anniversary

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.



--Martin Luther King, Jr., 47 years ago today

8 comments:

Sidney said...

love MLK. love this speech. my only hope is that if he had delivered it more recently, it would be all people are created equal, and we would be seated at the table of shared humanity. Perhaps someday we will also not be judged on our gender!

anne marie in philly said...

THIS is the true march on washington, not the $h!t "party" going on today...EVERYBODY will remember MLK, but beck/palin will be forgotten soon enough (thank the FSM).

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this important reminder.
v

Anonymous said...

Carol, you are the best ! Thanks for putting your thoughts out here! Terry

Teresa in Virginia said...

Thank you for posting this, my dear. It's a sweet reminder of what we should all aspire to; treating one another kindly and not judging each other. Be Blessed.

Cinderellen said...

And this is my dream also. Thanks for the reminder.

Bonnie said...

And the people said, "Amen."

Suzanne said...

That speech is all that I have been thinking about. I find that focusing on that rather than the man whose name shall not be mentioned keeps me centered. Keep on keepin' on, as we used to say.