Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Knitting with dog hair

Knitting with dog hair? Yep, you bet. It's not as strange as it sounds. And because I'm so nice, I'll even save you the hassle of combing the hair and spinning it in to yarn.

Sweet Polly Purebred

Presenting Fido Laceweight, a custom blend of 50% merino wool, 20% silk, and 30% samoyed fiber. Samoyed as in those beautiful fluffy white dogs.



Worry not: just like with angora rabbit fiber, the dogs are not hurt in any way; the fiber is combed out. And unlike the household doggies that we all love, the yarn does not get the dreaded "wet dog smell." (Trust me on this: I spent the last couple of days with it, wet and dry -- and it's odorfree.)

Dino

Rowlf

I've got a limited amount of Fido Laceweight, in batches of 400 yds/50g. One batch will make you a nice lace scarf; two or three will become a soft, fluffy shawl or shawlette.

Clifford

Cerberus

Available now at the BBF on-line shop! Free shipping, too, on orders over $25 by using the code on the home page of the website. Plus I've named the colors after famous dogs. Woof!

Astro (or should I say "Rastro"?)

4 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

rat's rawright, reorge!

I picked up on the doggie names right away.

hope you are getting better, and congrats on your teaching gig in january - you are in some august company there (meg swansen [drools in envy])!

Julie said...

Wow, please let me know if you'd like to try cat hair in the next batch! I have plenty available from our household furball.

Seriously, I can only imagine that the Samoyed fur adds a beautiful softness to the yarn, and hope I'll get to try some!

Knitty Delicious said...

What do I have to do for the Bach Beagle Colorway---ie tricolor black, brown and white??

HAHAHAHAHAH

Anonymous said...

Rastro is GORgeous!