Thursday, October 04, 2007

I really, really hate that.

Some chick posted a comment to yesterday's post that had nothing to do with my blog, or my bunny (more's the pity), but was just a solicitation for some knitting calendar that she is apparently trying to publicize. Now according to her message, the calendar that she mentions doesn't pay you anything for the privilege of using your design, except to give you a copy of the calendar. Although if my memory serves me, the company that publishes said calendar does indeed make profits from the sale of said calendar. I think that's cheesy. (People have complained about various on-line websites for not paying their contributors, but I give credit to start-up businesses like Knitty.com that began paying honorariums to their contributors once the websites began taking in ad revenue.)

I have a button on my sidebar that says "Contact me" and links to my email address, so why the heck didn't she actually email me so that I'd have the option of deciding whether I wanted to post her solicitation, instead of hijacking my blog comments? I mean, you'd think someone who bills herself as a provider of web design services would know that this sort of thing makes curmudgeonly knitbloggers cranky. Wouldn't you?

So anyway, since Susan and I are on such close terms that she feels comfortable advertising her projects in my blog comments, I popped over to Susan's blog and posted an ad for my Etsy site in her comments.

Which, by the way, reminds me that there are still a few hanks of yarn left over there, including a kick-ass batch of rose-colored 100% silk...

Coming next post: a review of Martin Storey's new knitting book for men...

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see that she's from Atlanta. I'm from Atlanta too and please, let me be the first to apologize on behalf of all knitting Atlantans for her pure dorkiness. She's just tacky.

Heather in Atlanta

hokieknitter said...

Shall we all go over and testify to the awesome greatness of your products? As a frequent product user, I'll be glad to do a free testimonial for you.
Still giggling at your handling of this.

Anonymous said...

I love the comment you left on her blog!

deirdre said...

I am snickering at your comment for her - nicely handled...

mindy said...

oh you're good!

now, about that silk...

SandyK said...

must have been the "debbil" in me that made me go leave a testament as to how much she'll LOVE your yarns gal!

Thanks for a much needed laugh today!

Anonymous said...

OMG! I had to come back to tell you that I just go an e-mail from her!

Anonymous said...

marilyn got the same message you did; so far, susan hasn't hijacked anyone else's blog comments.

fucking rude!

Bridget said...

Excellent work! It's right up there with the time I added a smaal container of Ex-Lax to the shopping cart of an obnoxious person in front of me in the checkout line at the market ...

Anonymous said...

Darn. I was going to leave a lovely comment on her blog, but you have to have a blogger or google account. I have neither.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

She found my e-mail address, but now I wish that she had commented so that I could have done the same thing you did.

Mel said...

Would you fucking believe that my confirmation word is "dyepgmt"?!

Oh, so as I was going to say, Susan tried to leave a comment on mine, as well, but people like her (actually, a dipshit trying to promote online gambling) are why I now moderate the comments - so that their comments don't see the light of day.

Diane said...

I deleted Sue's comments on my blog today. Really how friggin' rude. "Submit stuff to me so I can make money but I won't give you any of it."

(formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

Nicely done! She probably won't get it, but nicely done.

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you what she won't get. She won't be getting my money. When I'm looking for calendars this year, I won't be buying this one. Now that I know the designers won't be getting anything for their work, I'm certainly not rewarding her.
Cathy

Carol said...

Bridget, Bridget, you can do better. Try something like Astroglide but rip the price tag or upc code off. Price check, anyone?

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened on my blog. I deleted it. If she had e-mailed me, I think I would have felt less icky about her motive, but dude. Don't pull the microphone and start singing "Lady of Spain" on my blog. I'm not a designer, so it was clearly a case of getting free advertising. To get free patterns sent to her. For her calendar which is decidedly not free.

Someone needs to make a pattern for a dead trout, because she gets the fish-in-the-mailbox award for her lack of tact.

Anonymous said...

My spam filter caught her so I was able to delete her comment with ease. Good spam filter! (Pat, pat)

It is usually not so intuitive.

Hippy Goodwife said...

I bow before you all. Excellent handling of a yucky situation.

Extreme cute bunny too!

I found your blog via Big Alice. I promise I'm not spam!

Carol said...

Welcome, Tarewyn!
Anyone who has the good sense to compliment The Bun is welcome here.

Anonymous said...

Sleazy to the max!!!! What makes it even worse is that her calender is so awful!!!

Anonymous said...

I got an email from her, but no comment has shown up on my blog. I don't know whether to feel smuggly pleased or disappointed.

Oh wait. Maybe she doesn't read my blog.

Never mind.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! As was SandyK's comment. i was tempted to add another like SankyK's, but I didn't.....

charli
charlizeen YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Unknown said...

I wasn't kidding when I said on my comments that I would be billing her. I will send her an invoice. I was so fucking pissed when I saw that. My first thought was to delete it. But then, I decided to do what I did--edit the comment.

Brilliant idea, C! Sandy just told me about your leaving a comment on her blog, so I added mine. By the way, I was hanging out in Ravelry's chatroom before with Sandy and a few other folks. Give it a shot.

Carol said...

She didn't leave a comment on my blog...I feel so left out~snif~

Carol said...

Now she knows better...

Rabbitch said...

She sent me an email instead of leaving a comment. I don't know if I feel special or somehow used.

I think I'll go with "used". I like that feeling better.

SparkCrafted said...

oh man, i read the (as of now) 3 comments the yarnies left on her blog. tuesday-that-feels-like-a-monday has just been greatly improved. good stuff.