Monday, October 22, 2007

More on Rhinebeck: The people I lerve

I never quite know how to describe spending time at a fiber festival. I come home with my brain humming from all I've experienced. It seemed to me that this year's festival may have been slightly less crowded than last year, but there were more male knitters (a very good thing) and definitely a developing sense of community among knitters that showed itself at the festival. In addition to Blogger Bingo, which as I said last year, is a brilliant way for people to break the ice with each other and form real-world connections derived from internet ones, there were tons of people walking around with Ravelry buttons, which provided another way for people to connect. For me, this year was definitely about the people -- seeing many of the knitters with whom I've developed friendships (and meeting some in person for the first time) and getting to spend some time with them surrounded by the accoutrements of the craft we so love.

So today's virtual Rhinebeck tour is devoted to the people.

I left Saturday morning, and picked up Jim (Traveling Companion No. 1 -- an amazing knitter with an encyclopaedic knowledge of film, and he's single, fellas....) at 5 a.m. sharp, then Laura (Traveling Companion No. 2 -- she's also coauthor on the book and an incredibly talented designer/knitter/photographer) by 5:15 a.m. This is what it looked like when we stopped for gas about 45 minutes later, somewhere in New Jersey:



We made great time (isn't there a Seinfeld about that?) although the paparazzi managed to grab this incriminating photo of Laura and Jim leaving a Dunkin' Donuts in the wee hours:




We were able to check into our hotel and leave our bags (i.e., more room for fiber in car) and still make it to the festival just about when it opened.


Jim and Laura are about the best traveling companions one could ask for. They are extremely well-mannered and do all sorts of considerate things like navigate, open cans of diet soda for the driver so she doesn't crash the car, chip in for gas, bring tasty snacks, and provide interesting and frequently hilarious conversation so the driver doesn't fall asleep. Plus, they have great dirt provide acerbic running social commentary on the nature of the human condition as reflected by people of our common acquaintance.

First stop was seeing Dr. Mel and David.



If you Mel's blog, you'll know he made this kilt for himself



and if you read the comments to Mel's blog, you'll know that I threatened to bring along one of those supermarket grabbers so's I could confirm once and for all what, if anything, he was wearing (or not) under the kilt. (It's a matter of journalistic integrity, you see.) (Plus Rabbitch made me do it.)


Boxers. Damn. I have to say that after seeing Mel, and another really attractive man with killer socks, wearing kilts, I have a renewed admiration for men who have good legs, know they have good legs, and aren't afraid to show the world their legs. Such men are hot indeed.

Also at Mel's booth was Mar, and she was wearing her famed Campanula sweater, which was perfect for the warm weather with its short sleeves and lacy pattern. (Sadly, it was a bit too warm for anything wool.)



I really like this photograph of her, because to me, it captures both her crusty exterior (note mischievous twinkle in eyes) and her soft interior. She's a big cream puff, that Mar.

I also saw Fredda, who was knitting this lovely scarf in Black Bunny Fibers sock yarn:




This is Joe's Koigu Cross-Stitch pattern, which is available for download at Fredda's cool site, The Knitting Vault. It looks wonderful in a single colorway of Black Bunny (the sample in the pattern itself calls for two colors of Koigu, I think, but one colorway of BBF does just fine, IMHO).

I also got hugs from several of my favorite male knitters, like Joe and Ted, in this photo, along with Ted's lovely (and adorable) friend David (far left)



and Lars showed up, although sadly I did not manage to get a photo of his handsome Canadian visage. For Lars, who used his periscope-like sneaky camera to take pictures of hairy males and their asses, I took this photo:



An ass trifecta. (I'm always thinking of you, my friend.)

I was thrilled to see VĂ©ronik again, and apparently, I haven't frightened her into a restraining order yet, for she seemed quite happy to pal around with me at the festival. We had a mini-Stitches reunion with lovely Mindy



and I got to see Kathy and Selma all too briefly. I somehow missed my pal hyphenated Carol, which made me sad. I know I met a lot of other folks (like Blogless Former Antitrust Lawyer Democrat Lady from Texas, who made my day by telling me she reads my blog) and I don't want to bore you all by just listing the names. I'm too lazy to link everyone, but most of the folks I just mentioned are in my sidebar.

Okay, I've got to go for now, but I've got plenty more photos to share this week. Suffice it to say that a good time was had by all. (Except poor Kristin Nicholas, who had to listen to some crazy lady complain about errors in a pattern KRISTEN DIDN'T EVEN DESIGN!)

17 comments:

Ann said...

Men in skirts, an ass-trifecta, and loads of yarn? Now that sounds like a good time. I need to start planning for next year ...

Carol said...

Soooo bummed that I missed seeing you. I spent more time shopping than socializing and will have to reverse that for next year!

Anonymous said...

why is it that those gay guys get more handsome every year? joe, lars, mel, etc.

damn, I so gotta get my shit together and go next year; it looks like fun!

joe has pix of you in your "disapproving rabbit" t-shirt!

pity franklin and sean were not there...

Bridget said...

I would imagine that Jim and Laura would be good traveling companions, as they are excellent working companions!

It looks like it was a great time. I'm glad you got to go, and that you shared some of your pictures.

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest picture of Mel and David! And who knew that Mel had such nice legs? Well, now I guess we all do....

Anonymous said...

I'm having so much fun living vicariously through the adventures of all you lucky bloggers who were able to attend Rhinebeck. Perhaps next year, I'll be there :)

Unknown said...

I have to admit, I couldn't bring myself to ask Mel to lift his skirt...but I'm glad you did...those quads are even nicer than his knees.

You and I also agree...that time at Rhinebeck has been much more about the people. Thanks for showing the picture of the Koigu Cross Stitch Scarf...it is by far my favorite design I've ever come up with.

Think you might be able to get Tom to come next year (to maybe get a picture of a quad-fecta)?

SparkCrafted said...

i kinda-sorta met you by Morehouse's booth in #29 (the bilevel barn)--i was with Jody and her lovely St. Brigid!!!

i'll have to stop by RYC sometime and maybe run into you there.

:-)

Unknown said...

I have to say, this was the best year ever. Now maybe we need to plan a retreat for Wolvies and Friends? Whaddya think?

I like that pic of me--I sent it to Squeal, Joe's new name for the poor man.

I second the motion that you bring Tom next year. But only if he has a hairy, shapely legs. In a kilt. Otherwise, he can sit with Squeal outside the gate.

Carol said...

I find him pleasantly hairy and always shapely. However, I fear that a kilt is out of the question.

How does lunch in New Hope in a pair of khakis sound?

Anonymous said...

I saw you, I opened my mouth to say hi, I was even heading for hug territory, and I got assaulted by stole-fondlers and forgot what the hell I was doing. It's Mar's fault. :-)

We also loved the barfing pumpkins. I'm going to do one for our balcony this Halloween. How can one not? :-)

(Okay, maybe not everyone really wants a barfing pumpkin...)

Norskybear said...

Carol, we all know that you're not pregnant. You would never do anything that would kill a bunny...

P.S. I used the woman on the two horses as a pretext for a subversive shot...

Anonymous said...

Just walked in from Montreal and had to say hi and thanks for showing my handiwork. Actually, it's the product of a happy marriage between BlackBunny yarn and Joe's fun pattern.

It was great seeing you and the rest of the gang. Hope to see you again soon.

Carol said...

LARS -- that was a guy!! Seriously. He just had a ponytail and he tossed his mane more than the horses. Geez, why would I send you a photo of a woman's ass?

Persnickety Knitter said...

You were on my Blogger Bingo card, but I never found you. I was bummed because I read your blog and was looking forward to meeting you. Of course, the fact that I have no idea what you look like made it a little difficult to identify you. ;)

knitnzu said...

Great pics! (came over from Mel's), esp. great pics of him and his, umm, well, man and boxers I guess!

Anonymous said...

My son is a Utilikilter and usually wears tartan boxers underneath. It least when he knows we might question it!